Seasonal foods to eat in autumn/winter
Autumn and Winter should be about eating nourishing and warming food as our body adjusts to the new season, but also about eating seasonally and locally.
By doing that, we will not only be helping our bodies to balance our hormones, strengthen our immune system and boost our energy, but also the planet.
What foods should we be eating in autumn/winter?
- Root vegetables: carrots, squash, pumpkin, parsnips, onions, potatoes
- Green vegetables: broccoli, spinach, kale, celery, rocket, artichokes
- Fruit: apples, pomegranates, citrus fruits, blackberries, pears
- Herbs: ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, rosemary, thyme, basil, dill
- Whole grains: brown rice, quinoa, oats, millet
- Legumes: beans, chickpeas, lentils, soybeans
What does the perfect meal plan look like?
- Breakfast: Start with a nourishing and warming porridge made with oats, plant-based milk, grated apple, ginger and cinnamon and some nuts and seeds of your choice.
- Lunch: Combine some sort of grain with root vegetables, legumes and a side of green vegetables to make a macro bowl.
- Dinner: Prepare a warm soup with vegetables and legumes or grains.
You can check all UK seasonal produce month-by-month here: https://vegsoc.org/cookery-school/blog/seasonal-uk-grown-produce/
Be creative and experiment with the different ingredients. But most of all, enjoy!