Ecopreneurship: A Guide to Starting a Business and Saving the Planet
Written by Lisa Walker from Neighbourhood Sprout
Many aspiring entrepreneurs start businesses for financial independence, freedom, and tax incentives, while others pursue entrepreneurship because they’re passionate about making a difference in the world. These business owners are known as ecoprenuers: Entrepreneurs who create products and services that tackle major environmental issues such as food waste, plastic pollution, and climate change.
If you’re passionate about changing the world for the better, check out this guide from Ecolife London to learn how to launch your own environmentally friendly business!
What Is an Ecopreneur?
Thinking of pursuing ecopreneurship? Here are a few things to know about ecopreneurs and the kinds of businesses they create.
- Ecopreneurs tackle major environmental issues such as waste production, population growth, water pollution, and deforestation.
- Several examples of eco-friendly businesses include green blogging, organic catering, food stands, furniture upcycling, and sustainable event planning.
- Some ecoprenuers like Ecolife London sell environmentally friendly products for the home and body, such as cruelty-free lotions and soaps, cotton dishcloths, and compostable sponges.
How to Start a Green Business in London
Ready to pursue your green business idea? Here are some tips for starting a business in London.
- Start by reviewing some sustainability trends for 2021 and 2022.
- Complete the business formation process. You’ll need to choose a business structure, write a business plan, and purchase any necessary insurance policies.
- Look into environmental grants and loans if you need small business financing.
- Make sure you understand your sustainability obligations as a small business owner.
Tips for Marketing Your Green Business
Once your green business is up and running, you’ll need to promote your new products or services.
- Hire a web developer to build a professional website for your green business.
- How much do web developers make? Most earn between $15 and $30 an hour, but the cost of building a website for your green business will depend on the developer’s skills and level of experience — and the scope of work.
- Use green marketing strategies to promote your new business.
- List your business in the UK’s Green Business Directory.
The world needs more ecopreneurs, especially as climate change accelerates and our water, food, land, and soil become more polluted. These tips and resources will help to put your green business plans into action, so don’t wait any longer to get out there and make a positive difference in the world!